Castello di Segonzano e Prà- Cantilaga

01 Trentino Altopiano di Piné Valle di Cembra Fornace Civezzano Castello di Segonzano Castello di Segonzano e Prà- Cantilaga

Castello di Segonzano e Prà- Cantilaga

Departure point: (in front of the small church) from the Hotel Piramidi going down the valley (direction Saletto). A winding and asphalted road brings you to the Segonzano Castle ruins.
The Castle was built in 1216, probably belonging to Rodolfo Scancio de la Curte, then passing to the Rottemburg family and to then to the Lichtenstein family. Its function was defending the valley’s jurisdiction and it constituted an important fortress on the Avisio river. Having survived the ravages of time it started degenerating in 1800. The Segonzano Battle was fought there (2nd November 1796), between the Napoleonic troops and the local Schützen in 1796. A beautiful view in the bottom of the valley. Two famous water colors by the painter Albrecht Dürer depict the castle as it was in 1494. Proceed towards the valley the street descends between the vineyards which surround the castle ruins until they cross the street which leads to Cantilaga, a location to be found under the rocky ram of the castle near the Avisio Bridge, an ancient ford of Roman origin, which up to some years ago constituted the most important connection between the two banks

At the end of the bridge, there is an old farmhouse now used as a tools shed, but which in medieval times was used for collection of the tax imposed by the Castle Lord. The mule trek (corvaia) which goes down from the right side, was in fact the road taken by those coming from the North (Brennero) and heading towards Valsugana towards the Venetian plains. This path was also traveled by Albrecht Dürer in 1494, when he was on his way to Venice to study the Italian master painters. Going Northward, up the Avisio river path, you get to the little village of Prà. Slightly further on, there are the ruins of one of the many watermills which were used along the stream.